2019 Aspire Choral Composition Competition
The Aspire Choral Composition Competition is back for 2019! The competition is open to all adult Western Australian composers in the first five years of their career.
Composers must write a 4-6 minute piece for unaccompanied SATB choir, maximum of 8 parts (e.g. SSAATTBB). The text for the competition, and the wind, was written by Kevin Gillam for this competition.
The competition will be judged by a panel of Voyces personnel. A brief summary of written feedback will be supplied to each applicant.
Read the Conditions of Entry below for further information, and download the application form here.
Please send your completed application to email@example.com
Entries close on Thursday 31st January 2019.
and the wind
the wind blew through us. we were small that
day, there and not. sea was scuffed, frothed, whipped,
smear of land far out where blue skirts blue.
wind blew through us. swept us clean, swept us
of tales and ache. we were lost that day,
found but not. one gull, high up, wheeled and
watched. blew through us. we were song that day,
free on the stave, note then note, spume and
a whiff of dried weed, lick and boom of
waves, nudge of groyne. the wind blew through. we
were sand that day, sand and salt and shell
and curled. we were grain that day. wind through
us. glint of sun off the quilt of brine.
we were small and hope. the wind through us
Conditions of Entry
The Competition is open to any individual over the age of eighteen (18) who currently resides in Western Australia
The entry must be an original work of the entrant and not copied from any other work and must not have been previously performed in public, recorded for public release or performance or awarded a prize in a previous composition competition
The entry must use the supplied text (and the wind by Kevin Gillam) in its entirety
- The entry must be no less than 4 minutes in duration, and no more than 6 minutes in duration
- All information and attachments requested on the entry form must be supplied at the time of entry
- Entries submitted after the closing date and time will not be considered
- The winner will be decided no later than 11th February 2019, and will be notified by the contact details supplied in the entry form
- The winner of the competition shall receive $500AUD and have their piece performed by Voyces during their 2019 season (first concert)
- In the event that Voyces is unable to contact the winner, Voyces reserves the right to select another valid entry as the winner.
- Voyces reserves the right to not award the prize
- Each entry remains the property of the entrant who submitted it
- By submitting a work you consent to:
- Grant Voyces the right to the first performance of the work
- Grant Voyces a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to produce copies of the score as needed for rehearsals and performances of the work by Voyces
- Grant Voyces a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to produce and distribute a sound recording of the premiere performance for non-commercial (promotional) use